Despite their cute and cuddly appearance, possums are unfortunately a rampant pest in dwellings and commercial properties across Australia. They can enter buildings via crawl-spaces or gaps in roofs and begin nesting and breeding. Apart from creating a racket through their nocturnal activities and keeping you up at night, possums can be carriers of parasites and disease.
What makes things tricky is that any possums that are caught must be relocated humanely. It is illegal to hurt, harm, or kill possums. There are two widespread species of possums that are considered pests:
- Trichposurus Vulpecular
- Pseudocheirus Peregrinus
Signs That Possums Start to Infest Your Home
It’s good to recognize some of the early signs of possum infestation in your house, which can set you up to take steps as early as possible. Some of the common signs to consider if possums are present in your home are as follows:
- Sound of possum activity on (or inside!) roofs, particularly easy to detect if the roof is made of aluminum or tin
- Possum droppings on your balcony railings, outdoor tables, guttering, or garden furniture
- The smell of rotting fruit; usually caused by food that is decaying in possum nests
- Your pets are un-comfortable and restless at night. If dogs keep barking or the cat seems to get into screeching fights at night, it’s probably because of possums
If you have noticed any potential signs around your home, you need to act immediately.
Steps to Take to Prevent Possum Infestation
Here are a few steps you can take to prevent a possum infestation:
- If possums are in your attic or in any other area of the house, learn to how to clean and inspect them properly. This is one way to identify some of their entry points
- Seal off areas in the building such as attics, crawlspace etc. that are the main entry points of possums
- You can also try setting traps within the roof-space. However, be aware that any possums that are caught must be relocated humanely. It is illegal to hurt, harm, or kill possums
How to Get Rid of Possum Infestation?
If possum infestation is evidently seen in your place, here are some of the steps you need to follow before calling pest control service provider:
- Make use of some repellent products to help get rid of these pests. You can make use urine powder or granules with mothballs
- You can try setting up traps for a catch and safe release, if they continue to breed. However, it is best to seek professional advice regarding the ethical re-location of possums as they are a protected species
- You may scare possums by hunting them down using a pet dog or cat. They will eventually leave your place since your dog and your cat hunt them down
How often should our house be checked and visited for possum infestation?
When it comes to possum infestation, your building should be inspected and checked annually.
Will solving my possum problem be expensive?
As you can imagine, each case is different and we assess jobs on an individual basis. Our pest control services are designed to treat possum infestation and are offered at the most competitive prices.
Why choose Mr Pest Controller?
At Mr Pest Controller, we use only the safest and healthiest treatments that will not harm your health or hurt the possums. Our approach is humane and in accordance with Australian guidelines.
Our treatments are pet and child friendly.
We offer 100% satisfaction guarantee
In addition, we have a 3-fold assurance:
- FREE Quote & Fixed Price Guarantee
- Safety Guarantee, the chemicals used are safe and non-toxic
- Results Guarantee, when you’re happy, we’re happy